Monday, January 2, 2012

A Knitter's Pride

So this funny thing happened when I started learning to knit.  I grew strangely ashamed of any of the knitted items that I'd previously purchased.  Not ashamed like I didn't like them anymore, but when friends, acquaintances, and co-workers learn that you knit they start to assume that you made every knitted thing ever.  Which is flattering, sometimes, but means that I get oddly embarrassed to admit, "No, I bought this scarf before I started knitting." 

See?  A knitter's pride :)

What this also means is that, if I could make it, I don't want to buy it.  So when we had a cold snap a few weeks ago and my son needed a hat and mittens I refused to buy them - I mean, everyone would assume I'd made them myself!  I found a quick and easy pattern on ravelry, and here is the result.

Cute and simple, if I do say so myself *g*  After I finished them the weather obliged by snowing (the way it does in Minnesota) and I needed them immediately.  Here's C looking at snow for the first time, wearing his new hat and mittens.
I think he's a little skeptical of the weather *G*

- D

2 comments:

  1. Do you have a link for the mittens? I have made several adorable cable knit baby hats, but not mittens. And a boy needs mittens.

    Those in the picture are almost as adorable as the model.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne, here's a link to the blog where I found the pattern. It's super easy and quick, and I like that it didn't have thumbs (since what's the point at their age?).

    http://mathgirl40.blogspot.com/2009/05/cabled-baby-hat-and-mittens-pattern.html

    And I think the model is pretty cute, too :) It's rare to catch him looking so contemplative.

    - D

    ReplyDelete