Monday, June 22, 2015

A Camping Project

Over the weekend I went camping for the first time in at least fifteen years. A friend had invited myself and my son and I thought it might be fun. I forgot how much I hated camping as a teen. I still hate camping. In fact, now I loathe camping. It's way too much work packing, schlepping supplies, setting up, trying to cook in the wild, porta potties, pulling it all down...I'd rather hang out for a day at the state park and have the fun stuff like 'smores and then go home and sleep in a real bed.

But I brought a long a quick grab and go project that didn't require a lot of attention - the Figure 8 Headscarf from the latest Interweave Knits - to work on the few times I got to sit down and relax.

As luck would have it a friend of mine had gifted me with a random ball of yarn in pinks and purples with no identifying band. It felt like an acrylic blend, definitely not a cotton or wool, and looked to be about the right weight, so I decided to cast it on. I didn't gauge swatch for a headband but it doesn't really matter for this type of pattern, IMO.


Decided to shorten the number of repeats before and after the twist to fourteen instead of seventeen. I didn't care for how long it was in the magazine's picture. The pattern is incredibly easy to memorize, after one or two times of repeating the eight rows all I had to do was remember what row I was on and the stitch pattern came to me. And I finished it in one weekend!

Thanks for the aforementioned horrible time camping I was exhausted today for work so I just threw my hair up in a bun and tied the scarf around my head to cover my greasy hair. Et voila! 

No comments:

Post a Comment