Follow by Email

Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Looking for Test Knitters: Toddler Short Sleeve Sweater

I haven't had a lot of luck finding people to test knit my patterns for me. It's frustrating because I'd like to be able to share my designs more widely but don't want to publish patterns that haven't been proofed. My most recent piece is a simple pullover sweater knit in a bulky yarn. The design is knit in the round from an i-cord cast on, then you divide for front and back. My inspiration will come in the next post, for now, anyone want to test knit? :)

Here's a picture of the finished piece, modeled by my adorable son;

I'm doing something new and have posted it on ravelry to a test knitters group, too, but no one is responding. Maybe people don't like the design? No clue *shrug*

It'd be nice to get some feedback, though

- D

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Driftwood Tee - Interweave Knits Summer 2014

A year or two ago a LYS, Needleworks Unlimited, offered a groupon. Needless to say, I snatched it up even though the store is a good drive across town. I went one afternoon with a friend who enables me in my yarn habit and picked up this gorgeous yarn - Sublime Lustrous Extrafine Merino - soft with a metallic sheen - but had no idea what to make with it. I wanted a pattern that would show off the yarn's sheen, but due to the yarn's weight a lot of the patterns that were appropriate were too lacy/open to do that effectively. So it sat in my stash for over a year. Until I found the Driftwood Tee in Interweave Knit's Summer 2014 issue.

The open work panels at the side provided interest, but the larger section of straight stitch would show off the yarn. So I cast it on. First, the gauge is really tight! It grew tedious to knit that tight after a while. Since I got gauge on size 4's I didn't go down a size for the hem the way the pattern suggested.

Second, it's knit front and back, then you cast on using M1's and then the cable method to increase for the sleeves. After having knit it I wonder why it wasn't knit in the round, then divided to knit the front and back. It would have saved finishing time, and aligning the open-work panels when seaming was a real pain. After you complete the side panels it's an awful lot of straight stitch, there are no increases or shaping through the waist or bust.

Because of this, I was afraid the tee would end up too boxy to be flattering. Laid flat, it doesn't look like much.

But once I'd blocked and tried it on the drape of the yarn really came out. It hugs my curves nicely but isn't too revealing. Of course it has to be worn over a camisole, but I knew that going into it.

I've already worn it twice, it's very comfortable and the perfect lighterweight spring piece. I think I'm going to get a lot of use out of it. Here's a close-up of the side section.

And the neck, where you pick up and knit, then purl, then knit three rows.

I'm pleased with how it turned out and I think the pattern accomplished my goal of showing off the yarn.

- D